Each year, this is year number five, I put a Guy's recipe on the blog . Something a guy can make to--pick one--a) help out his better half , or b) win kudos from family and buddies and boost his ego, c) just stuff himself.
My pick of the year for 2013 is Caramel Corn. This one is not as original as some in the past, but it is always a winner. Tip--make lots, serve before dinner (with plenty of beer) and you won't have to buy and prepare a turkey. Everyone will be way too full to even miss it. That will really help out the misses.
You have to plan ahead for this. Two or three weeks before the big day you have to start answering "paper" to the "paper or plastic" question at the grocery store checkout. I normally answer "you too" because I can't hear very well and simply assume they are saying "have a good day."
This Carmel corn is to die for. And you might. It must have a Glycemic Index rank of 137.
Lets get started with the raw materials list. You will need:
The paper bags--several of them.
Popcorn--not the microwave type! Don't be lazy, get out the popper! I prefer an air popper.
White Karo Syrup--Translation: High Fructose Corn Syrup. Hey, it's in everything else that’s bad for you but good for your taste buds so why should this be any different!
Butter--the real thing, margarine is not allowed!
Baking Soda--I still haven't figured what good this does, but it works, so I have never skipped it.
Pecans &/or Almonds--optional, but in my case, mandatory
Step 1--I'll spell it out for you nice and simple in case you have already started on the beer.
- Pop the popcorn
- Load up the paper bags with 12 cups of popcorn. You could cut back on the popcorn to make it even gooey- er, but I don't recommend that. Why? Because I already have!
- Repeat as necessary--I have never made less the three bags worth. Trust me, this is "bet you can't eat just one handful" stuff.
Step 2--for each bag (bold, underlined, and italics to get the point across).
- Place a stick of butter, a cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of white Karo Syrup into a glass container.
- Microwave 3-4 minutes, but watch it closely.
- When it starts to boil, stop the microwave, remove and stir (also stir in the nuts), then microwave for 2 additional minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda and stir again, but no more zapping.
Step 3--ask for assistance from someone who is willing to be left holding the bag.
- Now with someone holding the bag open, dump in the mixture.
- Have a spatula ready to clean out the bowl--but work fast!
- Close (did I need to say this) and shake the bag in all directions.
Step 4--Empty the bag onto a cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes
- Then break up into smaller hunks so someone can't take half the bowl at one time.
- It's ready to have at it, but you're not done, you have to repeat steps 2 through 4 for each bag.
- Use the above spatula to whack any hands attempting to steal some of your creation before you're done.
Step 5--Invite me over. Give me a large bowlful, pop me a beer, maybe two or three, and I'll settle back in a corner and watch the game. You'll hardly know I'm there.